Transportation driven by 'Hydrogen'

Hey guys!! Have you heard bout the Indian government’s National Hydrogen Mission? It is a potential GS3 question in Mains 2021.

Please discuss among your peers and state

1. What can be the positive and negative aspects of using hydrogen as a transportation fuel?
  2. Can it change the Indian transportation scenario in the light of the National Hydrogen Mission?

A fuel cell works much like an electric battery, converting chemical energy into electrical energy using the movement of charged hydrogen ions across an electrolyte membrane to generate current. There they recombine with oxygen to produce water – a fuel cell’s only emission, alongside hot air.

Although less efficient than electric batteries, today’s fuel cells compare favourably with internal combustion engine technology, which converts fuel into kinetic energy at roughly 25 percent efficiency. A fuel cell, by contrast, can mix hydrogen with air to produce electricity at up to 60 percent efficiency.

Uses of fuel cell -
a. negligible carbon footprint
b. 2-3 times as efficient as burning petrol
c. refuelling time is just 5 minutes (35 minutes in battery electric vehicles)
d. 5 times better energy storage per unit volume

National Hydrogen Mission - full draft to be released after some time. It was announced in the budget 2021-22. Indian government’s aim is to produce hydrogen from renewable energy which is not able to be used in the grid. And, the hydrogen produced from renewable energy is termed ‘green hydrogen’.

hey, check this video on hydrogen fuels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4pXAmljdUA

2 Likes

dear students , let us write a test on this topic tomorrow - 3 prelims questions
topic covers

1. technology of hydrogen fuel cells and its uses
  2. India’s National hydrogen mission

vineet, can we prepare notes on these and 3 questions to our boys and girls

1. technology of hydrogen fuel cells and its uses
  2. India’s National hydrogen mission

sure sir. will do it.

Ty vineet. I appreciate it

1 Like

Hi sir,
Could you please go through this and suggest me any changes.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Hi Sir,
I have a small doubt - When nitrogen is even more abundant than hydrogen why are we not relying on nitrogen fuel cells??

Hello madam

In atmosphere nitrogen is available approximately 79% .but nitrogen exhibit mostly inertness (it does not undergo any chemical reaction with any other element) . And most of the application of nitrogen is to avoid the fire hazards in chemical industry by its inert property.

Inert gas doesn't act as a fuel .

Other inert gases are
Helium,Neon,organ , Krypton,xenon and radon.

Hi sir please do check and let me know my mistakes

Dear vineet sir,
Kindly have a look on my answer and give a critical review.

Page no 1 :-

Page no 2 :-

2 Likes

Very good efforts. Properly structured and nicely catering to the demand. Kindly stick to the word limit.

1 Like

Nitrogen is mostly an inert gas and it does not lose electrons as easily as the hydrogen. Therefore, the potential to generate electric current is very less in case of nitrogen fuel though it can be used in combustion but that will lead to emission of nitrogen oxides which we don’t require to happen. I hopes it clear some your doubt.

1 Like

Very good efforts. Try to give an introduction first like what is nitrogen mission and then begin you answer and end with a conclusion. Good efforts. Keep practising.

1 Like

Kindly review sir.

Page no 1 :-

Page no 2 :-

Friends you can share ya opinion and correct me to improve

I tried to improve myself… page 1

Page 2

Hi bro it’s very clear and clean answer
but if you use stream reforming to extract hydrogen more carbon dioxide is released which causes pollution to environment.